2024/2025 Government of Canada Scholarships For International Students: The Government of Canada offers numerous scholarship programs to help foreign students and researchers who want to come to Canada temporarily to study or conduct research.
These programs include:
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP)
Undergraduate and graduate students from:
- Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Belize, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos
- Central America: El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama
- North America: Mexico
- South America: Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Venezuela
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED)
Undergraduate and graduate students from ASEAN member states
- Study in Canada Scholarships
Undergraduate and graduate students from:
- Asia: Bangladesh, Nepal, Taiwan;
- Europe: Türkiye, Ukraine;
- The Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia;
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Burkina Faso, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Nigeria,
The value of a scholarship varies depending on the length and level of study. The values of the various programs’ scholarships are listed in the table below:
|Award Amount||Duration||Level of Study||Program|
|$15,900 CAD||8 months||Undergraduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$12,700 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$11,100 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||ELAP|
|$10,200 CAD||4 months||Undergraduate; Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$8,200 CAD||4 months||Undergraduate; Graduate||ELAP|
Government of Canada Scholarships For International Students: Eligibility
- For undergraduate applications for a research-based experience, a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or memorandum of understanding between the Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution is desirable but not mandatory. Instead of an agreement, you will be required to provide a Letter of Invitation from the University of Alberta professor who has agreed to supervise you.
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is desirable but not mandatory. If there is no existing exchange agreement, graduate applications which involve a new or established collaboration between professors from a Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution will be accepted.
- Applications and required supporting documents should be submitted directly to University of Alberta International by candidates through the University of Alberta International Government of Canada Scholarships Research Application Form.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time in their proposed degree program at the time of application. For example, if the application period falls during a gap between the student’s Master’s and PhD enrollment, unfortunately, they will not be deemed eligible for the current scholarship year. If this situation applies to you, it is recommended that you apply next year.
- Scholarships cannot be deferred and are not renewable.
- Candidates who have never before been awarded a scholarship through a Global Affairs Canada scholarship program will be given preference.
- Scholarships are not taxable for either the Canadian institution or the scholarship recipient.
Applicants are advised to review the Scholarship Terms and Conditions to confirm their eligibility for the program in advance of contacting a potential University of Alberta host professor. Specific information can be viewed by clicking on the name of the scholarship:
How to Apply
To apply for the Government of Canada Scholarships For International Students, take the following steps:
The following supporting documents should be available before you apply for the scholarship;
Kindly Note the following:
If a document is not in English or French, an official translation by a professional translator must be provided. It does not need to be a certified translation.
Incomplete applications and unsolicited documents emailed outside of the University of Alberta International Government of Canada Scholarships Application Form will NOT be submitted to Global Affairs Canada.
Supporting documents must be uploaded and attached to the online application form in one of the following formats: .pdf, .jpg, .doc, .docx, .txt or .gif. Each document must be smaller than 5 MB in order for the application to upload successfully.
ALSO READ: Scholarships for International Students