There is no denying that Canadian institutions are the greatest options for international students looking to study abroad, and Canada is one of the most popular locations for those students. Canada, a country famous for its spectacular landscapes and friendly people, also provides world-class education. It is one of the culturally diverse countries in the world where students from all over the world come to Free study in Canada. The country is also home to some of the best universities in the world, making it an ideal destination for those who want to pursue their education. In addition, studying in Canada provides many opportunities to learn new skills and gain valuable work experience. With its strong economy and abundance of natural resources, studying in Canada is a great choice for any international student looking to study abroad.
How to apply for Canada student visa
Here’s how you can apply for a Canada student visa:
- Select the university and a course to apply
- Obtain offer letter
- Pay tuition fees
- Receive letter of acceptance & Tuition fees receipt
- Complete medicals
- Apply for Guaranteed Investment Certificate and pay CAD 10200
- Prepare Visa Filling (SDS or Non SDS)
- Receive Biometric Instruction letter, if online submission. Or visit VFS Canada for Visa application submission and complete biometric, if offline submission
- Get the approval of student visa from Canadian High Commission
Step 1: Finalize the University in which you Wish to Apply
If you are not sure where you want to study, then you must decide the same before starting your application process to apply for student visa in canada.
Once your application is accepted by your preferred Canadian university, you’ll receive an acceptance letter, which is a must for the student visa application.
An acceptance letter is a study permit, which allows you to study at a chosen Canadian university and a student visa is required to live and study in Canada.
You may consider top universities or may apply through universities study portals in Canada.
Step 2: Check whether you have to Apply or not for a Canada Study Visa
Under the following circumstances, you are not required to obtain a Canadian study permit or study visa:
- If you are a staff member or family member of a Canadian foreign representative, who is registered with the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
- If you are enrolled in a minimum six month long study program
- If you belong to any foreign armed forces under the Visiting Forces Act
Step 3: Start Your Application Process for a Student Visa
Once you receive your acceptance letter from a designated university, you must proceed to another step, i.e. to apply for a Canada student visa or a student permit.
Below are a few steps to follow for obtaining a student visa:
- Apply online on the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) website before arriving in Canada.
- For those countries who have limited internet access, applicants can apply on paper as well.
- Provide a university s acceptance letter
- Show proof of funds to support your studies (tuition fees and living cost) in Canada.
- You must have a clear criminal record.
- Submit medical records stating that your health is good.
Step 4: Understand Canada Study Visa Document Requirements
In order to apply for student visa in Canada, you must provide the following documents as per the Canada student visa checklist:
- Filling application form for the student visa
- A copy of your acceptance letter from the university
- Your travel document, valid passport via which you can return to your home country. In case you live in the U.S.A., then it is not required
- 2 passport-size photographs (recent), with specifications of date of birth and name on the back
- Proof of funds during your study program
- An explanation letter
- If you wish to study in Quebec, then you must provide need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, French and English translations for your document, a translator statement and a certified copy of all your documents
- Study permit fee payment proof (150 CAD)
- Medical examination confirmation letter
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 letter
Once you have gathered all the relevant documents, you may apply for a visa either online or on paper. The overall visa application fee is $150 CAD.
Step 5: Understand the Language Requirements for the Student Visa
If you are not from an English-speaking nation, then all the Canadian universities ask you to provide English language proficiency proof.
Following language tests are accepted:
- Cambridge English: Advanced
Step 6: Biometrics appointment and interview
As per the requirements of your home country, you are required to show up at a Visa Application Centre of your home country for biometrics.
The biometric fee is 85 CAD and is an addition to the otherwise paid visa application fee. A few countries are exempt applicants from this biometrics visit.
Step 7: Wait till the Canada Student Visa Processing Time
As per the website of the Canadian government, the overall processing time taken for your visa application depends upon varied factors.
Though, the estimated processing time for canada student visa from india is between 5-12 weeks. Depending upon your form, you may be asked to come up for a short visa interview as well.
ALSO SEE: Proof of funds for Canada Student Visa